New Delhi: Oatmeal has been used as a staple dish for breakfast for a long period of time and is a popular choice among people looking for a nutritious and satisfying lunch because it can be made in a variety of ways and has many health advantages.
The nutritional profile of oatmeal is one of the main factors contributing to its popularity. Dietary fibre, both soluble and insoluble, is abundant in oats out of which the soluble fibres help to decrease cholesterol levels by forming a gel-like material in the digestive tract. It also produces a feeling of fullness and aids in blood sugar regulation, making it an excellent option for those managing their weight or with diabetes.
Here are some easy oatmeal recipes that you can try at home:
1. Carrot Cake Oatmeal:
- 4+1/2 cups water
- 1 can of crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of steel-cut oats
- 1 cup of raisins
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Brown sugar
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a 4-qt. slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Once the liquid has been absorbed and the oats are soft, simmer on low for 6 to 8 hours with the lid on.
- Optimally, sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
2. Savoury Oatmeal With Spinach And Poached Eggs:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup), divided
- 1+3/4 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1+1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 2 cups baby spinach (about 2 oz.)
- 4 large eggs, poached
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Over medium-high heat, warm the oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onion and sauté it for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring regularly, until it is soft.
- A minute later, stir in the oats. Bring water to a boil after adding.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the oats for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. After that, turn off the heat.
- Add 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup of the oat mixture.
- Pour 12 cups of the oat mixture into each of the 4 serving bowls, then top each with 1 poached egg and 1 cup of spinach.
- Add the final teaspoon of salt and pepper evenly, then top with the final 1/4 cup of cheese. Sprinkle chives and your dish is ready to be served
3. Black Forest Oatmeal:
- 3-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries plus additional cherries
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Bring 3+1/4 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a big pot.
- Oats and wheat germ are added after stirring. The mixture is simmered for about 5 minutes while being covered.
- In the meantime, add the remaining 1/2 cup water, sugar, vanilla, and cocoa; stir until smooth.
- Oats are heated through and thoroughly blended after the addition of the chocolate mixture and cherries.
- Serve topped with more cherries, sweetened whipped cream, and, if preferred, tiny chocolate chips.